Tuesday, November 24, 2009

And I thought the kitchen was bad

Today we finished up most of the kitchen with just a couple things left. After that it was on to the bathrooms. I wanted to get them both done today because Leo can't come again until after the dumpster is gone. I want to get it filled before I lose my help for the week. We also got the carpet torn up everywhere but the hall which I'll leave for a while to protect the floor.

The hard part today was seeing the floor beneath the bath tub. It made the kitchen floor look like nothing. The floor is rotted, there is more mold, and the exterior wall is badly rotted.


the half wall in the foreground has been removed. That is most likely going to become the new walkthrough from the family room to the kitchen




here it is after removal



This is the master bath prior to demo today. Don't you love the blue? It's a very small bathroom so I'm looking at some ways to expand it. There is some closet space that I may steal for the bathroom to make it a bit bigger



Shower stall in the master bath after demo. Finally no rot and only a touch of mold



Here is the second bathroom tub prior to demo today. I knew there would be rot and some mold but I was in for a bit of a surprise




When I started on the tile with the sledge the hammer went through the floor, because there wasn't one. The floor next to the tub was totally rotted away in spots. I was afraid to see what I would find under the tub. You can see the mold growth on the wall. That whole wall, which is an exterior wall, may have to be drastically rebuilt or replaced. If it needs extensive work I may just push it out about 3 feet and it would be even with the other bathroom and give it a lot of additional space. We'll see, that's for another day.



After we pulled the tub. Under the tub wasn't too bad. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.





This was the nasty carpet that hid my solid oak hardwood floors.



Peek a boo



Not too bad. They may need to be refinished but I'll see if they clean up. Seeing these were one of the highlights of my day. At least there is something good about the place.

tomorrow the kitchen arrives

No comments:

Post a Comment